Thursday 29 November 2012

chapter II - of mice and men

first ever food memory
My earliest memory of any kind is of when as a family, we lived in London for a while. Where my father after leaving the Royal Navy, became a member of the Metropolitan Police Force. It is there in London, that my first ever memory resides.


Holding my mother’s hand walking the streets of Streatham, to collect my elder sister; Michelle from school. Somewhere on that route, either going or returning we would stop at a sweet shop, or maybe a newsagent and a sweet treat purchased. I would not have been more than 4 years old, but the treat that burns vividly in me is that of a white paper bag, inside containing a sugar pastille mouse, pink in colour with string for a tail. Of course, its a small child’s memory and neither my mother or sister could verify it. But for me, every time I see these sugar mice I am transported back to sunny days, a shop on the top of a hill and the feeling of love and security as my small hand is firmly encased in my mother’s gloved hand. Why she would be wearing gloves on a sunny day, I have no idea. But that is the memory that sugar mice invokes.


recipe - sugared mice


No comments:

Post a Comment