Thursday 29 November 2012

preface - it starts with

I recently had a rather in depth conversation about childhood memories in regards to food. Whether is is because I am a chef, whether it is because my brain is just wired that way, I found my past, my memories inexplicably linked with food. The comment was made, that seeing as I was researching my family tree, I should maybe record these memories as part of that research.



Food can be so provocative. It nourishes us, it sustains us, it provides energy and it is the source of so many pleasures. Its feel, its textures, its flavours and aromas can be so sensual. But more than the food itself, the very sight of a certain food, a hint of its flavour and maybe more importantly the mere aroma of a given food can provoke so many memories within us. It can provoke strong desires from deep within us. 

Good, bad, happy, sad, sensual; the mere smell of a food or a dish can invoke the strongest of memories within us. Often memories long forgotten, incidences in our lives ten, twenty, thirty years or more ago, suddenly are remembered as if it all happened yesterday. Maybe with a desire to return to those times, those innocent childhood days, those carefree teenage years or maybe just happier times in our lives. Is it any wonder then, that as a chef my past is inexplicably linked with food memories. Or maybe, I was always destined to be a chef because my brain was so wired. 

I don’t remember why I ever wanted to become a chef, I would love to say that it was because of some wonderful defining moment, a chance meeting with some influential person, the fact my mother was such a devoted and masterful cook. But alas, none of that is true, somehow I just drifted into it. I once quizzed my mother over it, and she had no memory of why either. But whatever the reason, after leaving school when all my friends were gaining paid apprenticeships in Devonport Dockyard, I gained an interview at Plymouth Catering College and joined the chef’s course. 

I remember attending that interview, both my mother and I attended. In an upstairs room at Endsliegh Place, the office of the department head; the office of one Mr Hassle. It was there then, that I suppose my culinary journey began. 

It was on a grey dismal looking day in October 1975, when I attended my first day at college. A day that kick started my passion for food. But the memories, the nostalgia of food lingered in my mind long before that. 

My childhood memories are scant at the best. Maybe due to the traumatic loss of my father when I was so young, tragically lost in a house fire. Maybe its because we do not develop strong memories to recall later in life until after we are seven years old. But whatever the reason, a good percentage of my younger childhood memories are linked with foods. 

So follow me now, as I take a trip down that memory lane. To corners of my brain, to memories that are inexplicably linked to the sight, sound and smells of certain foods and dishes. Included will be recipes for each of the dishes, or foods that evoke strong memories for me

There are a million stories written about food, everyone has favourite one’s of their own, this is just one chef’s journey. This then, is my story …...........................

No comments:

Post a Comment